What everyone has been up to since this trip..
08.08.2009 - 07.12.2012
Me (Aoife) one of the crew who completed the original trip and has been living in Melbourne since has decided to pack it all in (again) and return to Ireland via a stint in South America and New Zealand (with my brother's wedding thrown in the middle for good measure). The girls have given me their blessing to hijack the original blog for my new trip. I do not have the comic genius of one Ruth Sanders but ill do my best to only write about the exciting/funny bits!
We thought the curious cats among you might like an update on everything since our 2009 trip. Firstly a quick summary:
Kate, Aoife, Anna and Ruth (KAAR) quit good pensionable jobs and packed up to go travelling for 5/6 months. First port of call was Moscow to catch the Transiberian train. We unfortunately lost Ruth in Dublin airport and were only reunited in Beijing (Ruth's abit special). We took the train from Moscow to Beijing via a quick stop in Mongolia. Then one month in China, 2 months in Nepal volunteering, kayaking, hiking and eating. We then we headed to India where we picked up Kirsten and enjoyed (endured) 3 weeks sweating there before hopping to Malaysia where we stopped off at KL, the Perhentian islands and Borneo and then landed in Sydney on 8th August 2009, broke and in need of a good wash! Full details are in the past blog entries.
Here is what has happened to everyone since...
- originally joined the trip from sweaty India onwards
- lived in Melbourne for 10 months working in a cafe and an architects office.
- returned to Europe and lived for a year in Paris where she completed an Erasmus and a work 'stage' in an architects office.
- for her final year she returned to Glasgow to complete her studies graduating this year...only her RIBA Part 3 exams to conquer now!
- currently living in Edinburgh mending her brain after final year of architecture and hoping to start a grown up job in the new year.
- stayed in Sydney for 2 weeks after arriving and returned to Dublin to the mosom of her boyfriend Damo (man bosom = mosom)
- started her own design company called Klickity (www.klickity.ie) which has been amazingly successful
- worked as a freelance designer for Digidave.co.uk and completed a masters in Design
- got engaged to Damo this year...couldn't resist the mosoms..
worked in back arse of NOWHERE for six months but saved some monies as there was nowhere to spend it on expect the local pie factory....her sister started reproducing so she went home to see the child then got stuck fast in Dublin where her old college took pity on her and reemployed her as a general lacky/servant/ etc..... and she then interviewed for a longer, even more lackey/servant based position (with the same money) for 3 years.
She currently has 20 months left to serve, then EXAMS in 26 months (if she meets all the endless criteria required) (which she should really start studying for now but.... there is always some excuse.....) and then she'll be unemployed in Ireland where there are currently no jobs for surgeons....
(direct from the horse’s mouth..geddit)
- still living and working in Melbourne
- currrently living in sin with her Kiwi boyfriend Luke but hopes to return to Ireland
- works as engineer for aircraft maintenance company
- still hates the sun
- lived and worked in Melbourne since arriving in August 2009
- worked for Fosters (yes the beer) and a wine company gaining invaluable experience in online sales and drinking wine
- quit said job to return to Ireland via a jaunt in South America and New Zealand
- as of April 2012 will be looking for work (please hire me!..anyone?..)